Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Keto Meals

So I've been doing keto for a long time. My husband has lost 65 lbs in about 10 months and I am down 30lbs since I had my third baby 11 weeks ago. It works! I love that I don't track a thing. Yep, I don't count macros or calories or points (first time loosing weight and not doing that). All I ask myself before it goes in my mouth is does this have sugar or carbs? After a while of label reading you get the hang of what you should eat and what you shouldn't eat. But people ask me all the time what I cook, what I don't eat, how I handle the restrictions. First of all, I don't feel restricted, because I don't feel hungry. You are eating fat, fat is very filling and satisfying. If you can get over the sweets (lots of ways to still get a sweet fix), you can handle this new way of eating and your body will thank you for it. So below is my broad overview of keto eating.

NOT THESE FRUIT/VEGGIES-EVER!

  • potatoes/sweet potatoes
  • Cherry Tomatoes
  • Squash
  • Parsnips
  • Bananas
  • Pineapples
  • Apples
  • Grapes
  • Peas
  • Beans
NO GRAINS-EVER!
  • Rice
  • Quinoa
  • Oats
  • ECT.
SPARINGLY FRUIT/VEG
  • Tomatoes
  • Carrots
  • Summer Squash
  • Berries
  • Nuts
EAT ALL THE TIME VEG
  • Lettuce
  • Avocados
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Okra
  • Cucumbers
  • Mushrooms
  • Onions
  • Cabbage
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Asparagus
  • Kale
  • Spinach
  • Zucchini
  • Peppers
GOOD DAIRY
  • Butter
  • Heavy Cream!!!
  • Hard cheeses
  • Cream cheese (watch labels some brands put carbs in there)
  • Unsweetened Nut Milks (I know technically not dairy.)
EAT ALL THE TIME PROTIENS
  • Chicken (canned, thighs, breast)
  • Pork (pork chops, pork butt, pork loin, suasage, bacon, prosciutto, ham (make sure it isn't honey cured), ribs)
  • Beef (steak, roast, hamburger)
  • Fish
  • EGGS
BE CAREFUL PROTIEN
If you eat too much protein your body starts to treat it like a sugar. So eating an abundance of protein will throw you out of ketosis. This is a high fat diet not a high protein diet. Unless you are working out a ton or body building don't go protein nuts.
  • Package protein bars- usually has a ton of carbs and/or sugar
  • Protien shakes and drinks- also carbs and sugar heavy.
ELECTROLYTES
You may start getting headaches long after you've gotten over keto-flu. Your diet is lacking in electrolytes, sodium, magnesium, and potassium. You should supplement these into your diet either by electrolyte powders, drinks or natural souces (i.e. pickle juice).

TREATS
You can look up lots of low carb/sugar free baking, but don't get your expectations too crazy. You'll be using a nut flour which has a grainy texture, and an alternative sugar which can have funny after tastes. Also, many sugar alternative can mess with your digestion so don't indulge too much. 
My favorite treats are:
  • Sugar Free Pudding (made with cream or unsweetened nut milk)
  • Atkins Candy/Bars
  • Sugar Free Jello
  • Berries with Cream
  • Fat Bombs (lots of recipe online)
MY GO TO MEALS
Breakfasts:
  • Eggs
  • Bacon
  • Suasage
  • Atkins Bar
  • Berries w/Cream
Lunch:
  • Egg Salad
  • Chicken Salad
  • Deviled Eggs
  • Cobb Salad
  • Lunch meat and cheese
  • Ham salad
  • Avocados
  • Cucumbers
  • Lettuce Wrapped Burgers
Dinner:
  • Grilled Chicken Thighs and Cauliflower Mash
  • Roast w/mushrooms and broccoli
  • Pulled pork on a salad with Ranch
  • Pork chops with brussels sprouts and bacon
  • Roasted Aspargus and Grilled Salmon with hollandaise sauce
  • Spice rubbed ribs with roasted caulflower and broccoli
  • Lettuce wrapped Burgers with zucchini fries
  • Taco Salad
There are lots more. This way of eating is simple and leads to whole food. I have felt so many positive benefits from this life style change. I hope it brings simplicity, health, and a better life to you as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment